Saturday, November 13, 2010

Chapter 23

“Where we goin’ Richie?” Emmie peered out the windows as the car made it’s way thru downtown New York City. It was so big! She was so glad that interview was over, if she had to wait another minute she thought she just might die. There was so much to see and they were only there for two days!

RIchie should have known before they left for the interview, something just wasn’t right with Em but before he could inquire about it , they had to go . Once they stepped out of the interview, he had to get her back to the hotel,  Not sure how he was gonna bring her down from this high . “Baby , we’re going back to the hotel “ he reached over , pulling her closer to him into a tight embrace.

Emmie hugged him back for a split second the wriggled away far enough to frown at him. “Back to the hotel?” Her disappointment was evident. “But, I thought we might go to central park, or the empire state building or... or something.” She pouted, “Can’t we? Please? Your shows tommorrow so we wont have time! I know I said I was tired before but I’m not now.”

“Not til you come down from your high baby. Can you tell me what you took ? “ Richie asked soothingly into her ear.

Emmie managed to look completely perplexed. This was the second time today someone had told her she was high! As if she took illegal drugs or something! She looked at Richie, a bit of her upbringing showed in tone when she answered. “I didn’t take anything to get me high I just took your energy pills, you know the ones you keep in the white bottle in your knapsack.”

Richie pinched his eyes shut , Damn’t I knew I shouldn’t have lied to her about those “ Darlin’ that wasn’t energy pills , “ He paused briefly  “It was amphetamines “ . I only use it when I have had a really bad night the night before and I have to get through a busy early morning “

Emmies frown grew deeper. “Anfet...amphet... am... WHAT?” she scowled at him. She took drugs?? He took drugs?? what? Her head was spinning so fast she couldn't comprehend anything.

‘Amphetamines its used as a pick me up. I didn’t think darlin’ you would have “ Richie let out an exasperated sigh. “I don’t use it that often , honest baby “

She sat perched on his knee, her foot tapping rapidly on the floor board. “You take drugs? You take drugs!” She slid off his lap and balled  up her tiny fist then slugged him solidly in the arm. “Richard Stephen Sambora you got me high!” she accused indignantly.

‘I didn’t I didn’t know you were gonna take it baby , I swear “ Richie winced as her small fist connected with his arm , it hadn’t hurt not physically anyway . The guilt part now that was a different story .

“You lied!”

“I well -- yes I did I’m sorry “ Richie dipped his head in shame “ Forgive me ? “

“Hmph!” She slid over against the other door, her arms crossed and didn’t answer him. Well this is just great! I’m high!?  She was angry. Her day was ruined and he’d lied to her. If he lied about those darn pills what else did he lie about? And he did drink too much! Even if he wouldn’t admit it! She wasn’t so high she forgot about that! Now what was she gonna do?? What did someone do when they were high on drugs? She didn’t even know. How long would this last? She shot Richie an indignant, silent glare.

Richie you dumb-fuck! what the hell were you thinkin’ ? He admonished himself   “Honey I’m sorry please I figured if I told you the truth you would -- leave or somethin’ . I’m sorry I lied “ He slid over to her but her body language spoke louder to him if she would scream at him .  He sat back , resting his head against the back of the seat  , Great just great fuckhead, you fucked things up already .

Emmie tried to make sense of what she now knew but her head was all fuzzed and her body just didnt want to sit still. Now that she knew what was going on she wasn’t sure she liked this feelin at all. As they pulled up to the hotel, she didn’t speak a word, merely grabbed the key from his hand and exited, heading to their room. She had to do something, anything. Didn’t he know how dangerous it was?? Why would he do it? Tiredness was no excuse! Energy pills, coffee, that was one thing but drugs? She fought the urge to stomp her foot in frustration as the elevator doors opened onto their floor. She fumbled with the key, swearing softly under her breath until the door finally opened. Once inside she tossed the key on the bed and dove for his knapsack. Fishing out the offending pills she shot him a look as she crossed to the bathroom and dumped the entire bottle into the toilet then flushed not once but twice. Once all evidence was gone she flung the bottle at his feet and dared him to say a word.

Richie watched her bolt into the hotel , and with quick long strides caught up with her , not a word said the entire elevator ride and to the room. He watched her dash around the room with a confused expression as she preceded to dump his whole stash of Amphetamines down the toilet.  “Baby?” He called out to her but she stood steadfast , anger radiating in her blue eyes , arms crossed .  Would she ever forgive him ?

“No! No, don’t you baby me Mr.!” She shook her finger at him, the high of the drugs and her anger taking hold, making her unable to control her emotions. “those things could kill you!” she shouted then tears welled up involuntarily. “Kill you Richie!! Then... then.... what would I do????”  She was shaking from just the thought. How many times had she seen him go to that bottle and take what seemed like handfuls at a time? My God, those and all the drinking mixed? She sat down hard right where she was on the floor and shook her head, “What would I do?” The last question was said in barely a whisper. More to herself than to him.

“Baby, “ Richie called out again , as he bent down to join her on the floor “  I’m sorry I didn’t think well we don’t think on the road , seriously its just out there and well we try it , I didn’t think this was as bad as the other stuff that's out there “

Emmie shook her head. She couldn’t speak. Didn’t he understand? She loved him! If anything happened to him it would kill her! She simply looked at him sadly.

Richie snaked his arms around her , hugging her tightly then softly stroked her hair. “I promise not to anything like that again , I didn’t think of the consequences really we don’t . ‘ He hoped and prayed he just didn’t totally fuck things up with probably the best thing that happened to him in a long time.  Her reaction took him a bit off  guard none of his girlfriends before cared , hell they joined right in .  She’s not like his other girlfriends he sternly reminded himself.

She wanted to pull away, she was still that angry, she was still that high. But, the instinct to simply hold onto him won out. She melted into his arms and closed her eyes. Her heart was still speeding along  and her head wasn’t exactly calm but his embrace mellowed her out just enough for it to be bearable. How long they sat like that, she didn’t know. She didn’t care, she was just happy things were starting to feel somewhat normal again and that those dreaded drugs were gone. After some time she buried her face in his shirt and inhaled his scent then whispered “ I love you Richie.”

He leaned in pressing a kiss to her forehead , paused a moment as thoughts raced through his head , She loved him ? Did he love her back ? Yes I think I do -- well else did I feel like if she walked out , his heart feeling the beginning pangs of heartache .  “I love you too Em darlin’ “ , he tilted her chin and sweetly kissed her .

1 comment:

  1. Emmie's such a sweet and innocent girl. Richie is going to have to be more careful with her, especially since she seems to really love him. And she's right Richie. Leave that crap alone!!

    ReplyDelete